Alpaca Warmup 2023 is a disc golf popup tournament on foothills of the Austrian Alps in Stiwoll near Graz, Styria.
This event is a 1-day PDGA C-tier tournament played over 2 rounds (shotgun start) on Sunday the 12th of March 2023.
The Warm-Up event is taking place a week prior to the AustroTour Alpaca Open 2023, and is intended for players who are currently on the waiting list for the Alpaca Open 2023 (with reserved wild card slots available), as well for those who wish to have some tournament-style practice rounds.
We reserve the right to cancel this event if the minimum of 48 players is not met, or if weather conditions render a competitive round (such as snow) impossible.
Alpaca Warump 2023 will have one layout, which is the same as Alpaca Open 2023:
- Gold layout:
2417m, PAR 60 (with a PAR-round rating of ~990).
We offer only one divisions for all players independent of gender, age and rating:
- MPO played
This temporary course will be available for practice (tournament ready) latest on Saturday 11th of March 2023. For any possible practice before Saturday you must contact the TDs first and clarify the state of the parcours & conditions.
- Facebook page (all information is public, therefore no facebook account is needed)
- Instagram page
- PDGA event page
Note on player numbers:
Maximum number of participants is 72.
Wildcards will be distributed by discretion of the TDs. However, all players currently on the main tournaments waiting list (as of 11th of February) have a guaranteed wildcard.
Alpaca Warmup 2023 is supported by:
Course Property Rules
We have the permit to use the property of 3 local farmers, which have hardly any ties to disc golf. To ensure that we have the chance to keep Alpaca Open an annual event, there are some important points to follow:
- Do not litter! Do not leave any garbage, cigarette butts, etc. behind! The property is used for feeding farm animals. Any garbage can make them ill.
As reminder: Littering is a courtesy violation in the PDGA rule, which can result in disqualification.
- Only use gates or marked openings to cross fences (do not climb over them!). The reason is that we are trying to avoid any damage on the property of the farmers. If some damage happens, no worries, but please tell us so that we can fix it. Happy farmers, happy disc golfers :)
- There is a designated private area (around the private house near the tournament headquarter - see overview map): Please respect this space and do not trespass.
Details to the layouts can be found on UDisc or Disc Golf Metrix.
The Gold layout is a PAR 60 18-hole course with a length of 2417m and a PAR-rating of ~990. Gold layout is played by all divisions.
Rules for every hole are published in the CaddyBook (Gold Layout). If there are differences between information sources the CaddyBook has precedence.
Please note that we are note able to provide a physical copy of this CaddyBook for the Alpaca Warmup event.
Layout changes compared to 2022:
- Hole 1:
The alpaca meadow has been extended in the past year due to the growing herd. As a result, all out-of-bounds throws will now proceed to a newly added drop zone.
- Hole 6:
The basket has been moved approximately 7 meters to the right, while maintaining the same distance from the tee.
- Hole 10:
This is a new slightly downhill, 137-meter PAR 3 hole with an out-of-bounds area defined by a road on the left. The slope has the opposite gradient of holes 15-17, which should create a more balanced course.
- Hole 15:
The second mando drop zone now has a new location, making the basket more accessible.
Practicing is possible on the whole course until 2 minutes before a round starts. You can also warm up in our driving/approach area or the putting zone (see overview map). Practicing on the course during the rounds is prohibited so therefore please use our practicing areas to warm up.
Special course rules
All rules based on current PDGA Official Rules with following additions:
- Relief on any barbed wire fence is up to 2m perpendicular to the fence. You may not cross the fence to mark your relieved lie, if your previous lie is in-bounds.
If your disc was out-of bounds you either can take the normal PDGA rule "one meter away from the point where the disc was last in-bounds" (806.02.D.2) or 2m perpendicular to the fence relief.
- The course uses public roads as tee pads or as part of the fairway. Before each throw ensure that roads are free and give way to vehicles and pedestrians. Use a spotter where necessary.
- Spotters are required on hole 13 and 14 . Please refer to the tee signs.
- If your disc lands within Alpaca meadow (hole 1 or 9) or the cell tower fence (hole 13) do not retrieve your disc by entering the fenced area! Please inform TD to retrieve your disc after your round.
Use following GPS coordinates on your navigation system to guide you (addresses do not work correctly on most navigation system in our area):
47.11803, 15.21734 (47°07'05"N, 15°13'02"E)
Please only use the designated parking area (see overview map). As parking space is limited we encourage arranging carpools.
- Public transportation:
With ÖBB you can travel to the train station Judendorf-Straßengel (same fare zone as Graz!) and from there you can use the local shared taxi service GUSTmobil, which brings you directly to our tournament headquarters.
Prices are reasonable: i.e. one-way from Judendorf-Straßengel train station costs 5€ for 1pax, 6€ for 2pax, 7,50€ for 3pax, etc. If you have an Austrian "Klima Ticket" the price will be reduced by 50%.
You should book your taxi service in advance. Use "GU 1733" as target address when booking so you get dropped off directly at our tournament headquarters.
Saturday, 11th of March 2023
The whole day the course is available for practice.
If you have time you can already do an "early registration" and gain you some sleeping time the next morning. Please come to the headquarters for this.
Sunday, 12th of March 2023
07:20 Registration (latest until 07:50)
08:30 Round 1 with shotgun start
12:00 Lunch break
~13:30 Round 2 with shotgun start (start time will be announced, if different)
~17:30 Award ceremony will start shortly after the last group finishes hole 18
This event was recently organized in response to the high demand for the Alpaca Open 2023, to allow more players the opportunity to play on our temporary course in tournament-ready conditions. Therefore, prizes are only available for the top three finishers.
Additionally, discgolf4you is sponsoring prizes for exceptional accomplishments - let yourself be surprised!
There is no advance payment required. Please plan to pay the fee in cash at the time of registering for the event on either Saturday (training day) or Sunday morning. To facilitate a smooth and efficient registration process, please try to bring the exact amount. Thank you.
- 22 €
Meals and drinks
We will offer coffee, cake, non-alcoholic drinks and beer. Tap water will be available for free.
Additionally, sausages with rolls (Semmeln) will be available during the lunch break. Kindly indicate your preference by placing an order on the registration form.
Current Austrian COVID-19 laws do not demand any vaccinated, cured or tested certificates to participate in events.
However, please take preventive measures as you see fit (see PDGA Covid Guidelines).
For participants traveling from abroad to Austria:
- FFP2 masks are still required in doctor's offices, hospitals, pharmacys and therelike (refer to signs at the entrance). If you do not have a FFP2 mask you get them at any supermarket.
Other general rules
- Main scoring tool is Disc Golf Metrix. Additionally, one player in each group should score with UDisc so you are able to double check scores at the end of the round or if scoring in Metrix is not possible.
If requested, a paper scoring card will be handed out (see rule update by PDGA in 2022).
A list of small rooms/appartements in the area we have already accommodated guests. However they can get full quickly. If this is the case use your booking service of choice to find a fitting accomodation for you.
Stiwoll 78, 8113 Stiwoll
+43 664 512 86 31 (please book via phone)
- Gasthof Schwaiger
Gschnaidt 4, 8153 Gschnaidt
+43 3149 2214
- Gasthaus-Gästehaus Schusterbauer
Hörgas 49, 8103 Hörgas
+43 3124 51768
- Bäckerei-Cafe-Pension Kogler
Hitzendorf 60/2, 8151 Hitzendorf
+43 3137 2266
See PDGA Event Info.